Thursday, September 8, 2011
Henpecked Husband
While thinking about the types of men portrayed in media that we learned in class like the lazy and dumb working-class man compared to the successful and suave middle or high-class man that tend to be the more common in media, I got to thinking about a different portrayal. This type of man is a married man who is bossed around by his wife, sometimes called the "henpecked husband." This type of character is often part of comedies and is looked down on. In contrast, women being bossed around by their husband in the same way is viewed more negatively and seriously. One noticeable example is that in the show Roseanne, Roseanne will sometimes boss her husband around once stating, "I don't push Dan around. I am trying to put him in touch with his submissive side." I find it a bit ironic as the show is supposed to support feminism but shows her doing what would most likely be found unacceptable in the reverse.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment